Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Fly: The Musical?

The Fly: The Musical?


Calling it "The Fly: The Musical" isn't as correct as calling it "The Fly, a Musical Experience", since they are actually presenting it as an Opera.

According to the director, David Cronenburg, the operatic version of The Fly will
1) probably not star Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis and
2) Not be an actual retread of the old movie,
"I didn't want to remake the movie. I didn't want to rewrite the screenplay again," Cronenberg, 65, told reporters at a news conference on Tuesday. "This production has a power and charisma all its own."




By the way, out of sheer confusion between Opera and Musical (theater), I did some google search to try to find out the difference, and... nothing, I can't figure out the difference between the two, even with the help of a Guardian Commentary I just end up drilling holes in my brain to relieve the incredible cranial pressure that is trying to distinguish between a musical and an opera.

I'm going to start drinking draino, and hope that the pain goes away...

Sci-fi movie "The Fly" gets opera treatment (Reuters)

3 comments:

ypomoni said...

Honestly, I thought opera was sung throughout, whereas musical theatre is basically theatre with songs thrown into it. But I could be wrong. And I suspect that the vocal training needed for opera is a lot more than that needed for MT. Drill in some more holes...Crash. That movie basically did just that to any hopes I had of Mr Cronenberg making a good thing ever again...

est said...

if it is english then it´s musical (including porgy & bess). 8P

Crashhhhh.... Holy Hunter was innit, didn´t she? and of course david spades, your next door psychotic character actor... (holy hunter or the girl with 3 names, also starring in hudsocker proxy?)

ypomoni said...

yes, Spader and Hunter where in it; I'd expect it from Spader, but Hunter? Why, Holly, why? The girl in the Hudsucker Proxy was Jennifer Jason Leigh (I think) - I don't remember if she was in Crash. Rossane Arquette was - and she was very disturbing, as was the whole film, but not in a good, thought-provoking way. More of a "WTF was the meaning of all this?" way...