Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Blooming Marvellous

Blooming Marvellous

IMG_0726
When we went Dorset a few weeks ago, I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon drinking tea and eating cake with an old friend, one of my oldest friends actually. We were at school together and then shared a room together when we first left home to go to art school. Amazing to still be in touch twenty five years on, with six children and two husbands between us.
Anyhow, she told me about an exhibition she'd recently been to at Bridport Arts Centre and recommended that I go see it if I could. The exhibition was called Blooming Marvellous and was described as "an intergenerational community knitting/crochet project culminating in a knitted/crocheted 3D garden".
Intriguing don't you think? A knitted GARden?? How could I possibly not go and see for myself?!
IMG_0746
I really didn't know what to expect, it's quite a long time since I went to an art exhibition of any sorts. I was excited! And as I had Little Lady with me it felt like quite an adventure to be heading off to experience this together.
IMG_0727
It was a bit baffling at first. As everything was visible all at once,  just entering the room was quite overwhelming. There was so much to see, big things and small things, a mind boggling amount to take in.
IMG_0730
We began to work our way slowly around the room. We had to crouch down as most of the exhibits were on the floor. But it was an absolute necessity to get reeeeeeeeally up-close as the detail in everything was un-be-liev-able.
Ohh the work! The hours and hours and hours of creative work evident in this exhibition was astounding.
IMG_0742
This exuberant floral border blew me away.
IMG_0741
I loved the sheer fun of it, the absolute over-the-top, crazy joy of it!
IMG_0734
 We crouched and gazed into this cool, blue yarny pool....
IMG_0731
....and we circled round and round this buzzy, yarny bee hive.
IMG_0732
We oooohhed and aaahhhhhed and mmmmmmmed over this knitty picnic.....
IMG_0738
......and paused to appreciate this lush bowl of bright yarny fruit.
IMG_0739
Like I say, the teeny tiny details in this exhibition were wonderful. Everywhere you looked there was something to surprise and delight. Tiny little knitted ladybirds crawled along windowsills and up walls. A knitted spider sat in a big knitted web at the window. A knitted owl roosted above a doorway. We couldn't stop smiling at every new discovery.
IMG_0745
I think the veggie plot was my absolute favourite bit of all. I thought this little knitted tray of seedlings and seed packets was the cutest thing EVER.
IMG_0744
There was an abundant harvest of vegetables.....
IMG_0743
....tumbling out of crates and bags.
IMG_0748

1 comment:

ypomoni said...

blooming scary, I say....the hours of life wasted for this...